The O&W Railway station in Hurley is no longer with us, having been removed in 1961 to make way for the new Route 209, but it leaves a legacy in the form of Depot Street and the landscaped rail trail that so many of us enjoy. It is a mirror image of the High Falls station with the freight platform on the opposite side. As at the High Falls station, waiting passengers could find cover under the extended canopy.

The overpass on Main Street in Hurley was created in 1902 just wide enough to allow a single track to pass underneath with retaining walls on either side made of large blocks of cut stone.  The stone was probably reclaimed from the D&H Canal that had just been closed down and purchased in part by the O&W.  There was a coal spur for unloading coal where Wynkoop Road is today and a freight siding parallel to the main track. Hurley farmers received fertilizer and feed here and shipped out hay, vegetables and fruit. The O&W quickly became part of the fabric of daily life for Hurley residents who could now grab a 12-cent, 6-mile round trip to shop, visit friends, or go to school in Kingston – ever so much easier and faster than hitching up the horse and buggy.

In winter, the story goes, certain Hurley boys would stand on the overpass and carefully time their snowballs to drop into the smokestack of a passing steam locomotive. If skill and luck were with them, the snowball would meet its mark and shoot back into the air from the force of the steam. Hurley parents, being a cautious sort, advised their children that if they were playing down in the cut when a train came, they were to lie down as close as possible to the stone wall until the train passed.