Hurley, originally the site of a Lenni Lenape community, was settled by the Dutch in 1662. Two years later it found itself under English governance along with the rest of the New Netherland colony. The town is composed of the hamlets of Old Hurley, West Hurley and Glenford. Old Hurley’s Main Street is a National Historic Landmark due to its concentration of well-preserved stone houses which have served as residences for more than 300 years.
This self-guided tour map identifies 27 historic sites in and around the village of Hurley, NY. The Hurley Heritage Society offers private group tours, scheduled in advance, with a knowledgeable guide. For information and reservations contact email@example.com.
Below is a map and list with photos and descriptions of many of Hurley’s historic sites and buildings that individuals may see from the outside on their own, or enjoy exploring online. Main Street Hurley is compact and small enough for easy walking to view many of the historic locations, and other properties are only a short distance away.
You can also download or print our Walking Tour Brochure.
Click any image for a larger view
Ostrander/Elmendorf House. Originally the lot was set aside as the minister’s lot. Sold to Pieter P. Ostrander by the freeholders. Pieter sold it to his son Arent who built the house about 1715. In the 18th century it operated as the Halfmoon Tavern, which Petrus Elmendorf purchased in 1804. The second addition to the east was built as a weaving room.