Dutch Reformed Church 1853
Standing at the end of the old Main Street, the Church's traditional white spire is visible for miles around. Built in 1853, it replaces the original stone church erected in 1801 halfway up the street. (some of the foundation stones are from the first church). The interior is in keeping with the early architecture: the pews were privately-owned, each having its own nameplate on the short doors, still in place.
Crispell House (Parsonage) 1790
Purchased by the Church Consistory in 1839. Narrow stairway, off the kitchen, leads to what was once the slave quarters.
Dr. Richard TenEyck House 1780
Allegedly a stop on the underground railroad in pre-Civil War Days.
Bevier House 1730
The Bevier Family was one of the original settlers.
Polly Crispell Cottage 1735
Lower level of this house was supposedly a blacksmith shop. In the chimneys were iron spikes that the Dutch believed would keep out witches.
Burial Ground Late 1600's
Old Hurley burying ground is one of the oldest in the County. Settled by the Dutch prior to 1660. Contains many field stones, some of which are inscribed in the Dutch language, and very many with no inscriptions. This ground is in good condition. The earliest decipherable stone is 1715.
Elmendorf House late 1600's
Believed to be the oldest house, known as the Half-Moon Tavern in Revolutionary Days.
Col. Jonathan Elmendorf House Between 1783-1790
A relative, Conradt Elmendorf, married Arientze Von den Burgh VanBuren in 1704. Arientze's child by a previous marriage, Tobias VanBuren, was one of the forebears of President Martin VanBuren, born in Kinderhook near Albany. Purchased by the Hurley Heritage Society in September of 2000 for use as our Museum.
Nieuw Dorp 1730
A wheelwright used to live here. His wrighting stone is now a doorstep. While a larger one covers the well.
Besimer House 1795
Typical of a one-room Dutch stone house which has been added to over the years.
Abram Elmendorf House 1780
One of the last stone houses built, architecture is three-story English rather than Dutch.
Hardenberg House 1818
Last of the original stone houses built.
Schepmoes House 1804
Replaced the original house which was burned by the British in 1777. Built by one of the few Frencch Hugeuenots who settled here.
Col. Gerardus Hardenberg House 1750
Original grant for this land was conferred by King George II in 1750. Believed the famous Negro evangelist, Sojourner Truth, was a slave here in 1775.
Probably built in the late 1790's
DuBois House 1747
Original one-room house was built in 1747 by Johannis DuBois and later expanded in 1780. At one time there was a tavern here.
Hurley Patentee Manor
Cornelius Cool House
Combines a 17th century Dutch cottage (1696) and an 18th century English country manor (1745), one of the few of English design in the Hudson Valley.
Brink House 1745
Land was leased from the Governor under King Charles II in 1661 by Lambert Hybertse. In 1708, the son of Lambert assumed the name Brinck (Brink). The stone walls of the original house can be seen, the brick addition was added in 1842.
Wyncoop House 1676
Land bought in 1663. First house built by 1676, later another house was built around the original. Col. Cornelius D. Wyncoop was killed by his slave in 1790.
Captain Newkirk House before 1750
Located on a steep bank, it afforded natural protection for the early inhabitants.
Mattys TenEyck House 1722
Original two rooms built in 1733, two more added and roof turned in 1750, and kitchen wing added in 1823. First water-powered sawmill built on this site. The dam is still in existence.
Newkirk House 1770
Property was purchased jointly by Garrit Newkirk and Mattys TenEyck in 1709 for the purpose of erecting a mill. In 1712 Mr. TenEyck sold four acres, including the house, to Mr. Newkirk.
Garrit Newkirk House 1769
Presumably built by Garrit Newkirk, the house has inscribed in stone over one of
the doors "GNK 1769".